Telfa AMD dressings are impregnated with PHMB – Polyhexamethylene Biguanide, a powerful yet safe antiseptic that has a broad range of effectiveness against gram positive and gram negative bacteria including drug resistant strains such as MRSA, VRE and Acinetobacter baumannii.
This innovative technology provides healthcare facilities with a low cost, prophylactic method of treatment without changing nursing protocol.
Why choose Telfa AMD?
• Telfa AMD is impregnated with 0.2% PHMB, an antimicrobial agent that has been
proven to lower infection rates without interrupting the healing process.
• Telfa AMD is broad-spectrum with no known resistance.
• Telfa AMD is a non-adherent dressing with a perforated polyester film containing a
dense, non-woven cotton absorbent core.
• Telfa AMD dressings have a non-adherent surface with smooth (burned) aperture
edges for pain-free removal.
• Telfa AMD dressings have the optimal size of apertures which allows exudate to
pass through but does not allow tissue to adhere to the dressings.
• Telfa AMD will not adhere to sutures, staples or steri-strips.
How does PHMB work?
1. PHMB binds to bacteria’s phospholipid (outer) membrane
2. PHMB disrupts the membrane, causing the cytoplasm to leak out
3. The bacteria cell’s protective layer disintegrates
4. The bacteria cell collapses and dies
• Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
• Vancomycin-resistant enterococcus (VRE)
• Acinetobacter baumannii
• Staphylococcus epidermidis
• Pseudomonas aeruginosa
• Escherichia coli
• Candida albicans
• Staphylococcus coagulase
• Proteus mirabilis
• Serratia marcescens
• Enterbacter cloacae
• Klebsiella pneumoniae
See brochure for full details.